About us

A family of five in Aotearoa New Zealand, on an international homeschool journey...so what do we do all day?

Monday, April 6, 2015

Letting go

It's been eight months since I've last blogged.

Friends in Espana - our last day in Vigo
It's been just over a year since our whanau embarked on an incredible journey (and no, the Spain update still hasn't appeared...sorry!)

I won't recap the past... and I'm not letting go of the blog...

But I'm letting go of a bit of stuff this year to make more space for me, the family and our learning-life (this is the new 'home-schooling/education phrase I am testing out)... or life-learning philosophy.


Stuff I'm letting go of includes:

  • taking on too much stuff (other people's problems, staring at stuff on face book, physical stuff...); 
  • guilt (for not keeping up blogs, finishing projects, doing what I say I will all the time (mainly to myself)); 
  • worrying (about what other people might think about how we do things, judgements for what we do all day, whether I'm enough);
  • unrealistic expectations (this blog should be updated every week and be about our learning-life...it is mainly);
  • control.. (of whatever I can!)


And in some sense, in the spirit of 'letting go', I 'let go' my daughter from being at my side daily  to follow the travel-adventure spirit we value, and return to Japan with her Obaachan (grandma, my mum), her uncle and aunt (my brother and sister-in-law), for three weeks.


It's not been easy. I miss her. Her brothers miss her and her Dad misses her. In her absence we've acquired three dancers who are part of the MOTH's new dance/kapa-haka/aerial theatre extravaganza, so the house is busy and buzzing... but definitely NOT the same without Miss K.

From all accounts she's enjoying herself, creating new memories with her immediate and extended family.


And to further 'honour' the spirit of letting go - I let go control of my blog for our children to share their learning-life. Soon there may be stories of Japan adventures, lego creations, trips to marine centres, metamorphosis...

I let go in anticipation.




6 comments:

  1. Lovely to read your blogs again honey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to be writing them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the pressures we put on ourselves! Good for you for letting go, or at least attempting to! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been a year since your travel!! 😳

    And I need to take a leaf out of your book and let go of stuff too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hannah - thanks for the lovely comments. I've been inspired by a book called "Women who run with wolves" :-)

    ReplyDelete