About us

A family of five in Aotearoa New Zealand, on an international homeschool journey...so what do we do all day?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What I'm learning everyday

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs when I realise that it's been over a month since my last post. It's not that we're not doing anything, we seem to be doing a lot of all sorts of things, I just haven't had as much time to capture, record and blog, and I think the need to prove to myself (and the rest of the world) that we're doing 'learning stuff', has slowly started to subside.

I'm learning that the choices we make are good ones. What we do might not look like 'school' to anyone else, but that's okay. It doesn't have to. What's important is we know what's taking place, at what pace and the balance and joy that resounds in our household because of it.

I'm learning to respect and trust my children's desire and capacity to direct, manage and focus their 'learning'. My enthusiasm is appreciated, but not always wanted. I'm learning to accept that!

I'm learning that I have found an inner peace in making this choice. That's good for me (and consequently everyone around me).

I'm learning I still need to work out how to respond to those who try and 'test' and to some extent 'teach' (in a well meaning 'schooly way') our children. That'll come, it's early days.

I'm learning that there is much love and support for our whanau, from friends, colleagues and so many in the wider Kapiti Community.

I'm learning to take each day with more intent and presence. It's tiring, hard, but worthwhile work. And while some days it looks like utter chaos, there's a lot of peace too.

2 comments:

  1. What a way to go, Miko. Kids learn a their own pace. They know better than anyone else how fast they can absorb knowledge. With knowledge and experience comes wisdom.

    While I like to think that learning is a lifetime experience, I have learned that how well we can absorb it diminished with age. On the other hand, with proper sustinance, I now believe us oldies can still continue to grow in wisdom.

    I have absolute faith that you are bringing your children up with the best possible grounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's tiring, hard, but worthwhile work. And while some days it looks like utter chaos, there's a lot of peace too" - well said Miko!:)

    ReplyDelete